Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Daddy Duty & Daycare

After nearly 12 months of waiting... the improbable has happened... we have a daycare spot (Knock it off, there are no Irish twins coming).  We got a spot at the hospital daycare about 3 miles from the hospitals we are at most of the time.  It's got extended hours, which we love already!  This sadly meant though, that grandma O was going home.  It was not a tear free morning for anyone.  Lilah had a meltdown as we were saying goodbye, which I think was her personal protest to letting grandma leave.  Lilah had hours and hours of fun with her and it was easy to tell she had gotten pretty attached.  The silver lining was that my mom and dad came up for the Fourth of July and we got to spend an "official" holiday together for once :)  My pops attacked his "Daddy do" list while my Mom rocked some deviled eggs... and it was a fantastic weekend!  We are still adjusting to the fact that Grandma O isn't here.  It was such a fun month to have her around and it was so very helpful!

Your investment dollars hard at work

Grandma O's shopping expertise


Fourth of July barbecue with friends... Showing those boys who's the pinkest princess in town
Our first week of daycare has been super hectic to put it simply.  Between Ben and I, four of the 7 days this week we are on call.  Ben was on call the night before daycare started, slipping in for about 2 hours of sleep before it was time to go to daycare.  I also only cramped in only a few hours trying to make sure we didn't forget something silly. But we did it together and dropped her off together.  I kept a wet Kleenex in my scrub pocket for the first 2 hours of work and after that I was able to actually throw it away.  Lilah did well- sleeping most of the day actually and refusing to eat much at every meal.  I might've called in at least twice to check on her.  This was actually restraining myself- otherwise I would have suggested a camera honed in on her every last move, sneeze and expression.  So, they squeaked by with it easy that first day :)

I had to be on call that night, so I dashed from work to spend about 5 minutes with her before I had to be back.  All in all, we survived the detachment well.  I'm working this month in the NICU and have counted Lilah and I's blessings as I do so.  I held a baby that was 5 days older than Lilah last night for nearly an hour who has been in the NICU now for almost 4 months.  Another baby I take care of, who now is ready to go home after a month in the NICU but can't since her mom is still in the hospital healing from a series of disastrous complications from pregnancy and delivery.  We are very blessed, regardless of how sad my heart is that she has to go to daycare.  
Just fabulous and flirty



Poor Rooney... was the baby first now the pony


As part of the first week of daycare- Ben has a lot of single daddy time this week while I'm working.  Ben got pooped and peed on finally.  Along with doing his first time night feedings, he is now officially inducted into Daddy Duty.  It feels like it should be commemorated.  Also, in other Lilah news... she has been officially welcomed by the Obama family into this world (thanks for the idea, Veronica!).  Her newborn announcement was sent to the White House and we got a really fun keepsake back from the First Family.

3.5 months old!


A Big Obama Welcome


Tummy time is still disastrous, but at least a bow can perk the sad disgruntled cries that happen when we try tummy time!
Don't be fooled, tummy time is usually never this happy!




No comments:

Post a Comment