Tuesday, April 16, 2013

3 Weeks- Trouble with the 3 P's

Week 3 has been a bit more taxing on our psyche than the previous few weeks.  We felt in a teeny, tiny way that we were somewhat getting into a routine and figuring out this parenting a baby thing... but then came this week.
3 P's- Psychological breakdown, puking, and pooping!  And here they are...

1. Psychological Breakdown~-~ We had one night where everything just seemed to crash and burn.  I had been kicked out of my gym earlier that day for bringing a car seat in, apparently the gym day care had closed a few months earlier... :(  Ben came home late from work, sick with a sore throat and cold.  Lilah decided to demand attention with her tiny baby lungs for the next 3 hours.  I was in the middle of 5 loads of laundry (containing no less than TWELVE outfits of Lilah's from a busy 2 days of baby spit up), when our washer motor went out.  Our comforter was soaking wet in the middle of the spin cycle... yuck!  Our upstairs toilet broke earlier that day, my breast pump stopped working and to top it all off we both had big presentations for work we were scrambling to get ready to present in the next few days.  You'd think some alien spaceship was hovering over our house disabling all our appliances and laughing.  But no, this was just a night with a cherry on top for us!  Lilah nearly ended up spending the entire next day naked since we were out of clothes for her- but we scrounged up an outfit that was giant and baggy on her for a trip to Lowe's to buy a new washer!  I made sure to point out the oversized clothing the baby was wearing to the Lowe's guy helping us so that he knew speedy delivery of the washer was a top priority!
3 weeks!

Relaxing

2. Puking!  She was only projectile puking on us (when I say us- I mean me) about once a day.  I was eating my cereal one morning with her in my arms and right there in my cereal!  Needless to say, breakfast was over for everyone.  My personal favorite was projectile puke all over me from my face to my toes one night.  Ben brought me a single burp cloth and said, "That was awesome! It was a ton!"  Since then, he's figured out that if we're going to stay married he needs to bring more reinforcements for the clean up.  He's learned quickly and is now super-puke-cleaner-upper dad and dumps her right in her bath tub for a scrub before I even have myself cleaned up!  What a guy!

George and Lilah hanging out
Binkie is a big hit around here

3.  Pooping~-~  There are moments of sheer pride in the first weeks at this beautiful baby you've brought into the world.  There are also moments of shattering realizations that your world has been rocked when you have spit-up on all items of your outfit, you ate a cookie for breakfast, forgot to feed the dog, yet spend all your free time staring at a sleeping baby.  As teeny tiny babies grow... so do their diapers.  And we had a particular series of days where I was convinced that Lilah, had already outgrown her newborn diapers. Sniff, sniff... I hated that she was growing up so fast, but I really wanted these up the back blowouts to cease.  I put size 1 diapers on my grocery list for the week.  My pride (keep in mind I call myself a pediatrician and babysat for years prior) came crashing down that morning when Ben informed me that I was putting on diapers incorrectly.  Not possible.  He noted that the "baggy, saggy" part wasn't big enough when I put it on... huh?!  We had a diaper demonstration and I laughed at him the entire time telling him how wrong he was about this little matter.  Secretly, I put Lilah's diapers on his way just to prove to him she would still have blowouts... but not-a-one since.  I can't believe it.  The uber-dad was right.  Unbelievable.  Well, another reason I love my husband :)
This is for you, Trevor!  Aviator bear vs. Lilah

Tummy time is not so popular with this one

No comments:

Post a Comment