Monday, October 20, 2014

The Doctor is In!

July 27th, 2014 marked a very important day for the Nelson's.  It meant one of us was finally done with residency and could in some ways return to a more normal life.  I couldn't tell you how happy I am to be done with residency but how much I will miss working with such wonderful colleagues. I truly discovered my inner self in the last 3 years and what will sustain me being a doctor for the next 50 years.  I made some wonderful friends, dealt with intense amounts of stress and fatigue, learned to manage complicated medical conditions, cared for some of the bravest children I will ever meet, balanced being a mom and wife, cried when a patients passed away, and learned how to appreciate the great job I have of caring for kids.  I also was blessed to have received an award for teaching, for which I felt very honored.

With no chance to get used to sleeping in, I started my new job as a Newborn Hospitalist two days later at a different institution. Since then, I've enjoyed working half as many hours and cramming for boards in all my new "free time,"  but it's made a huge difference in my happiness level and the amount of dishes stacked in our sink.  After boards, I hope to enjoy Lilah, reading books for fun and maybe even regain a hobby or two :)  But in the meantime, I'm super blessed to have an amazing husband, beautiful daughter and super supportive parents.  Love you all!

Diploma in hand
Celebration Dinner
The hallways I walked so many times
Celebrating as a family


My Residency Class from Indiana University/IUPUI

One of my mentors, Dr. Bobbi Byrne

The family who made the Teaching Award

No comments:

Post a Comment